Power rankings before the season starts are “as useless as nipples on a boar hog” and are of little use during the regular season. They are however interesting at times, and are a reflection of how the sports media perceives both the other teams and the Saints. A quick power ranking review will help pass the time.
XMagyver, Senior Staff Writer, Tailgate Sports Network Editor/Webmaster
This week the New Orleans Saints moved up to the 7th position at NBC Sports, up from the 8th place last week. This early in the season I see no reason to look past the top 10, but if a team starts pulling away from the pack later we may. What say work our way down from 7th to 10th, then work our way back up from 6th to 1st?
7) New Orleans Saints at 2-0: At this stage our motto should be “Full steam ahead, damn the torpedoes!”
8) New England Patriots at 2-0: It’s rare for the AFC’s “Golden Boy” Tom Brady to fall below Drew Brees, but this season the Patriots fumbled the ball in the front office. Few good receiving targets = poor outlook for playoffs.
9) Atlanta Falcons at 1-1: I like seeing them ranked down there with “sloppy 9ths” after Week 2. They’ll need more than Roddy Whites mouth to talk their way back up the list.
10) Chicago Bears at 2-0: What PFT said about the Bears could be said of the Saints this week: “Ugly come-from-behind wins are better than ugly come-from-behind losses.”
Now, jumping back up to 6th:
6) Baltimore Ravens at 1-1: The Ravens are one of three teams ranked above us with a 1-1 record. I have to feel that we’d likely split a home game and road game with them.
5) Green Bay Packers at 1-1: Aaron Rogers hasn’t lost any of his skills yet. He’s dependent upon the team around him for wins, just the same way we are.
4) San Fransisco 49ers at 1-1: The 49ers dropped down from 2nd place last week due to the 3 points they scored last weekend. I think it was our own Cap’n Dan who said no championship bound team would ever score 3 points in a game. Colin “Cockynick” is one game and an eyebrow short of the Saints, and the 49ers are one good hit on the QB short of not making it through the playoffs.
3) Houston Texans at 2-0: The Texans were steady at #3 this week, and steady usually describes them. I will say that if Sean can get our run game fixed they couldn’t whup us, even in Texas. Matt Schaub just isn’t Drew Brees.
2) Seattle Seahawks at 2-0: I can’t wait for the Seahawks to go to the Georgia Dome in Week 10, two weeks before we do. They should stomp a mud hole in the Falcons.
1) Denver Broncos at 2-0: With regards to the Broncos being ranked above the Seahawks, I have this to say: Put those two teams in a neutral stadium and Peyton Manning loses his edge. I see it as a dead-even dogfight.
Picture Credit: Pic courtesy of whodatgallery
XThanks for stopping by guys. If you’d like to get our articles, videos, Cajun humor, Cajun recipes, etc. sent to your email, then use this link to hop to our home page: You can leave an email address, & get our Saints articles sent automatically. Just sign up in the upper right column.
Don’t be a stranger… WhoDat! XXX